Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with Search woes. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I will spare everyone from what could be a 20,000 word rant on what's monumentally ridiculous and idiotic about Windows 7 Search.

In short, can anyone tell me how I can search for a file and actually *find* a specific file? None of the options seem to make sense.

1.For instance, Size...I don't consider 128 meg "Gigiantic". Maybe in 1990 that was "Gigantic". But suppose I want to find files > 1gig and < 1.5 gig? It doesn't seem to give that option.

2. I can't put in a *real* date range, ie, From Oct 1 to Nov 4 2010. Again I'm stuck with MS's arbirary and vauge "A long time ago". How about "A super duper long time ago"? And when would that be? More than a month? more than a year? In the neanderthal times? Who knows?

3. Most absolutly critical: If i'm looking for a text file I'd like to be able to put a string of text that the file *contains* but *NOT necessarily part of the filename*. Somehow--and I can't even remember what I did to make this happen--I found some ultra secret, hidden hack to make it search contents but it torpedoed itself because it also found files whose *name* contained that term and in many cases that returns so much garbage that it's prohibitive.

So bottom line: Can I install old Windows XP search--which had all of the options I mentioned above and more--on Windows 7? Or a third party (I tried "Everything" but it does not have the 'contains' option which is most critical to me).

And can anyone shed light on why MS would take the XP search which was highly functional, and almost literally s**t out a version that--more than anything else that MS has ever done--makes me want a Mac.

Thanks for any help on this and sorry for the opinionated rant but the decisions MS makes are just so mind-boggling sometimes.
--Jim

If you want to have another go at mastering the new Windows search program see if there is any help here. Half the battle in using Search is to know the syntax to use, and to have the folders you search "Indexed" for faster searching.

The Syntax and methods mentioned here may help as they are virtually the same. Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Tips for finding files

Some alternatives and other suggestions are mentioned in this thread.

Windows 7 explorer search when indexed and non indexed folders present
thread1726-1625716

I'm going to have to put in a vote for SearchMyFiles. Its the best file searcher I've found that works in Win7, it also has all the options you have listed.

Its not pretty, but works.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks Vacunita, that is an awesome utility!

It does exactly what I need and more (it has the Exclude option which is huge).

And it included one other crucial thing that Win7 search did *not* have--Win7 eventually might *find* the file but it didn't list *where* it found it!!

Win7 listed files, but there was no "in folder" heading in the results pane, one had to right-click and do Properties to see where it was found (I'm sure there was a dangerous, secret registry hack to get Win7 to show the 'In Folder' column, which one would expect to be default, but why bother). I'm sticking with SearchMyFiles...it's just amazing that a small utility so thoroughly trounces Microsoft at it's own game on it's own file system. Just amazing.
Thanks,
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back