Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with samba printing issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhowes

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
ZA
Hi

(Sorry about the long post ;-) )

I have a Linux server running Red Hat 7.1. Connected to that machine I have an HP Laserjet 6P which I can print to just fine locally. I have several shares and I can view them from my Windows 200 clients - no problem.

However when I try and setup a printer on my windows 2000 machine I get "Access denied". I can see the printer, and when I try and connect it says the server does not have the correct drivers and installs the 6P drivers on my Windows machine. Trying to open the printer then gives me the "Access denied error".

I am not sure what can be wrong as Samba and the encrypted authentication is obviously working as I can see my shared directories.

My smb config is:

[global]
server string = Linux Samba Server
encrypt passwords = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
max log size = 50
preferred master = True
dns proxy = No
lock dir = /var/lock/samba
guest account = smbuser
printing = lprng

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/lpd/laserjet
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[laserjet]
comment = Laserjet on Blackmax
path = /var/spool/lpd/laserjet
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer name = laserjet
printing = lprng

[rhowes]
comment = rhowes Home
path = /home/rhowes
valid users = rhowes root
read only = No

[public]
comment = Public stuff
path = /home/public
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,

Richard

What version of samba do you use.
It is known that versions i thought older than 2.2.0 are having difficulties when you want to install a printer in windows 2000 shared on that smb server.

If it is a old version upgrade samba.

Are you forcing users to use the guest account for printing? If so, shut it off. I use Webmin to admin my Samba print shares, may be it will help you out.

A year later, I'm having a very nearly identical problem as rhowes. Specifically, I want to print from a WinXP through a printer queue on a Linux machine via SAMBA.

Linux OS is RH 7.3
Printing is via CUPS -> JetDirect -> HP 8150PS

I can print from the Linux machine.
I can browse/edit files on the Linux machine from the XP machine.
I can see the printer shares from XP's browser, but upon trying to connect the XP wizard prompts me to load the driver for the printer on the server! if I read the message correctly. Then when I select the correct printer from the list the printer icon appears in my "printers and faxes" folder with all my other printers, but its status reads "Access denied, unable to connect".

I get nothing in the system logs (at least that I can find)...

rhowes, did you ever get your configuration working? I'd love to know how.

-kd

kdotter in the [printers] section add the following line

use client driver = yes

it sounds odd nothing to do with access denied but it worked. I hope this helps.

regrads.....clk777

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back