Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with power cord question

Status
Not open for further replies.

peairs01

MIS
Oct 3, 2001
US
If the power supply on my PC says 10A 220V does it matter that what the power cord power cord says, my PC says
100-120 / 220-240 V there is a little red switch that
switches from 115 to 230 can i use a power cord that says 125V

I would be careful with the cord. If it is not rated to handle 220-230V it may be a fire hazard. If it's the cord that was provided with your PC, then there should not be a problem, but, hey, better safe than sorry.

CAT

Says that the prototype was tested for 125v when UL visited the factory. Should be no problem at 220 but I would question the plug since 220 is different that the 2 blade u ground standard for 110.
10a 220v has to be a pretty big power supply , must be running into the gigahertz with multiple processors. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi.. first of all u have to set the pc power supply setting according to ur mains voltage (110/220).

The voltage rating of the power cord is not significant...what important is its POWER rating
(VOLTAGE x AMP),which should not be less than ur pc's
power load. Say the power cord says 125V,5A. then its power
rating is 125x5=625 WATTS. If ur pc consumes less than 625watts, then u're just just fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back