Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE HELP WITH MDW PROBLEM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubby

Programmer
Apr 28, 2001
US
The problem is we have two diffent secured databases and my end users can't access the other database without joining the workgroup.

Is there some way I can create a shortcut (string) or some thing that will let the end user to access either DB without having to keep rejoining the other database workgroup?

The usual way to do this is to set up a desktop shortcut that tells the system which database to open and which mdw file to use.

Set the Target Path of the shortcut to:

"Path to MSAccess.exe" "Path to database.mdb" /wrkgrp "Path to .mdw file"

Include the quotes AND the spaces.

HTH
Lightning

Chubby,

Lightning's method works, and lightning fast, too. If you are working with a distributed application, though, you may want to consider how to deal with a split front end/back end plan, and how to deploy the new front end, once you make changes.

If you're looking for a way to deal with this, check out the Deploying Databases articles on my website. There's some detail there about how to use a batch file that uses Lightning's syntax to start the database but first checks what version the user has and copies a new version of the front end over if there's a newer one on the server.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace AlphaBet City Dataworks
See the Developers' section for some helpful fundamentals.

See thread181-473997 for information on how to get the best responses possible here at Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back