Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with Internet Connect issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
This has me completely stumped

Lenovo ThinkPad W510 XP Pro/norton 360 and Think Vantage Connections network

I have had no problems connecting this machine for over a year to various wireless networks ... however this one network that I look after just won't let this machine out onto the internet.

Netgear FVS318v3 8 port Router connected to a TRANZEO 6015 Wireless access point

When I configure the TVC with a fixed IP address:
- I can ping the router gateway
- I can't ping google.com or it's absolute address 74.125.127.105

When I configure the TVC to use the Router DHCP it does the same thing
- I can ping the router gateway
- I can't ping google.com or it's absolute address 74.125.127.105

Doing an ipconfig /all after the DHCP provides an IP address reveals that either the router neglected to provide a Gateway or the TVC didn't store it ... I am fairly certain this is the root of the issue ... without a gateway address there is no Internet.

It appears even if I manually enter all the relevant info (including the correct gateway) there still is no internet connection.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be blocking the gateway settings and why only for this one site/pc ... I have no issues at other sites with this laptop. Plus this site has plenty of other devices hooked via wireless ... I don't see any soft settings on the router that might be blocking this and the Teranzeo must be working or else I wouldn't be able to ping the router.

I shut down N360 as well to no avail ... changed the DNS settings to the ISP's ... used a number of different fixed addresses (the Router DHCP is restricted to a block from 3 - 51 and there are a number of fixed address pc's outside that block attached via hardwire to the box.

My router has "MAC Filtering" enabled, and just flat will not allow traffic to/from devices that are not on its Allowed Devices List. (Yeah, there are ways around that, but it stops the amateurs.)

See if yours has a corresponding setting.

Thanks ... thi router does have a mac filter but is currently disabled ... the key here is doing an ipconfig /all is returning a blank gateway ... setting the gateway manually doesn't work either ... it as if the OS is somehow being stopped from accessing this particular router's gateway ... understand it works fine at other locations ... albeit with different setups and routers

My only thought is that its getting a wrong "broadcast" adress, Do you have a "netmasks" file somewhere that is forcing an invalid config?

I assume that you have stopped all or any anyivirus/firewall software on the laptop.

Have you tested DHCP with it hard-wired RJ45 too from the router with same results at that site/router?

And have you tested with a wireless dongle on the laptop?

With all the above checks you should be able to focus on either the laptop or the router.

Last thought can you do a arp -a on both the laptop and the router to see that they both agree with what they really are (or even manually set the arp)

Good luck anyway ....

Laurie.

Finally had a chance to track this down ... for some reason my vmware player created 2 Adapter entries into the LAN or HIGH-SPEED Internet Connections table; VMnet1 and VMnet8

The gateway for this site was supposed to be 192.168.6.1 ... for some reason this was what the VMWARE Adapters had chosen for their BASE address ... and was why:

1) when I used a DHCP setting no gateway was assigned

and

2) when I hard coded the gateway there was no connection

The moment these Adapters were disabled the internet connection sprang to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back