Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help with Dial-up networking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschnoor

MIS
Jun 9, 2003
US
Hi, I have a small business LAN consisting of 4 computers, 2 with XP and 2 with 98. I want to be able to access this LAN and our reservation system's database. I need to add 1 more systems on our outpost in a different location. I decided to use dial-up networking on my W98 system to dial directly into our LAN via one of the XP systems that was configured to accept direct connections. Once Ive dialed into the XP system I am unable to browse the Xp system or any of the other systems on the LAN. Ive read somewhere that Network Neighborhood is disabled in 98 whenever you dial into another computer remotely. So the main question is how do I browse the network and gain access to the LAN. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Jeff

Make sure everything you want to see is shared. Network Neighborhood isn't disabled (to my knowledge) but you won't see anything without permission.

Hope this helps,
Corie

Thanks for the help! I finally can see my host computer on the LAN but still cannot see any of the other computers. I have everything shared on the host to the rest of the network. Is there a place to set permissions for DUN clients?? Thanks in advance!

Try mapping a drive from the XP host to the drive the reservation app is on, and that the 98 client has permission to access that drive. Also, make sure the server service is started on the XP machine. You can also check local security policy in Administrative Tools on the XP PC. Thats all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

Corie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back