Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

please help with CSS Background-image/IE6 bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieChalk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2003
GB
Hi

Please take a look at
Its the first CSS layout I have done and as far as I can tell it has gone reasonably well (so far!).

The biggest problem I have is (on IE6) when you scroll down the page so the first tab (Property sales) disappears off screen, and then scroll back up again a duplicate of the tab background image appears beneath it.
If you mouse over any of the links on the left it disappears. It doesn't do this in Opera of Firefox.

I would appreciate any ideas as to why its doing this, and any other feedback on the coding of the page.

Thanks in advance.

CC

I'm not realy a programmer - but there wasn't a "stumbling around blindly and getting nowhere" catagory, please be kind

I don't get the error you describe when I view it with IE6, have you fixed it?

As for more general comments, it looks pretty good - I wish I could stumble around blindly so well! I'd try to avoid using images-as-text in the right hand column, use the embedded font technique described in faq215-4042 if you're not happy with the commonly available fonts, it only works in IE, but degrades well in other browsers.

You need to pay attention to what happens to you layout when the text size is increased (View > Text Size > Large(st) in IE) - currently it becomes slightly broken. Quite a lot of older people want to move to Spain, and they may well surf with the text size turned up. With this in mind, you might consider starting with slightly larger-sized text anyway.

Oh, and I don't suppose you're really concentrating on your copy at the moment, but I spotted this typo in the "Property Sales" section:
Some sites, we don‘t have a single database for you to search, we have xx!
I take it you mean "Unlike some sites..."

-- Chris Hunt

Thanks Chris

I've sorted the IE6 problem, missing Position:relative; from the class.

I usually take the easy way out and set fonts to PX sizes, but I really want to hit as many accessibility problems as I can with this one, so I will take your comments on board.

Copy - never was very good at that bit, but as you say its only filler text at the moment.

Thanks for looking

CC

I'm not realy a programmer - but there wasn't a "stumbling around blindly and getting nowhere" catagory, please be kind

That looks nice.
I just wish a client of mine that sells property in Spain would let me do something more like that rather than insisting on using Frames, pointless Flash, poor structure, removal of any "designed" element etc

It makes me weep :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back