Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help (Restore Database)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amal1973

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
I have a SQL Server 2000 Database that I always back it up to a folder on the network. My hard drive got corrupted and I lost all my data ;I think the worm virus did it. I did reinstall SQL SERVER, but it does not want to recognize the backup file on the network. I tried to attach it and also to restore it. But with no luck.. Please help. Apreceate any help

Going to need more details....

Are you getting some sort of error when you try to perform the RESTORE? Can you connect to SQL Server?

Sheetserr

1- The SLAMMER/SAPPHIRE worm was rather benign. It didn't corrupt data or databases. It simply flooded the Internet with probes seeking to propagate itself. I suspect there was another problem that caused the corruption.

2- What happens when you try to restore the backup? Do you get a message? Or is the file just not visible when you attempt to restore?
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

Also, how are you attempting to restore the file (via Enterprise Manger wizard, via restore command, via attach database method, etc)?

-SQLBill

Thank you all for answering my post.. I had a database on SQL Server called Gl_Details. Last month after updating it with current data i did a simple easy Backup through the wizard. After the backup is complete, i copied the file that was generated from the backup procedure to a file on the network cause the backup process saved the file on the C drive under MSSQL. Two days ago I lost my hard disk will all my data:-( . I got a new hard disk now and I reinstalled
SQL Server, NOW I need to restore what i had in the backup file.... how could I do that.
It keeps telling me unrecognized database format when I try to restore through the wizard, and in TSQL I just cant understand to supply the path of the file.

Thanks

Have you followed your steps backwards? Did you first copy the backup file from the network onto the new hard disk and into the same file as it was copied from? And did you then try to restore that file? Or are you trying to restore it from it's network location?

-SQLBill

Thanks for your reply..i went backwards and i found that the path in the save as restore destination is diffrent than the actual path..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back