Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help, New to IP's, Gateways, and Subnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydroron

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
US
Hi, I've been trying to figure out some questions that are probably simple but can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for. I have a cable internet connection, a linksys 8 port router and 3 Dell servers that I plan to host websites on. I'm just beginning to try to use them. The main things I don't understand is all these numbers.
I have a static IP address from my ISP and they also gave me the subnet mask, gateway, 2 DNS servers, domain and host. My first question is if i'm running my own servers at my own location, do I need all of that info my ISP gave me since the 2 DNS servers they listed are theirs? My router also asks for that info but do I enter what my ISP gave me or what my servers will be? The same thing in the kickstart program for my Powerapp.120 Dell server, it also asks for that info. I have a domain name with network solutions and changed the DNS to what I plan to use on my server but I get confused because when I change that, it makes the DNS my IP address my ISP gave me, is this right? I'm not sure what info of theirs i'm suppost to use and where and what info on mine to use and where. As much help as anyone can give would be great.
Thanks again, Ron

Post a seconadary DNS lookup in your server and machines and use the value your ISP gave you as a secondary lookup source. The ISP gatway address is very important to get information out of your intradomain [within] and to excahnge information betwen interdomains [between]. All the information given to you from the ISP is important. What is the OS for the Powerapp.120 Dell server and your hosts? You will need the ISP infromation to be entered into your server to allow UTP, TCP,HTTP, etc., traffic flow out of your network and to return. What about the incoming and outgoing mail servers. Route once; switch many

Ron, you should hire someone to show you the ropes. What you are trying to do is not for novices. A lot of reading is in order to prepare you for this. You should think about taking a very serious one-semester crash course in server administration. Good Luck! Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Hi Ron,
Actually this is a fairly simple set up. The Linksys router is where you would place the ISP info. Then give your router a static internal IP, something simple, then make sure that DHCP is turned on, plug everything in, check you IP config on your servers to see that they received an IP address from your Linksys router, and viola!
You should be in business.

(a) You're going to run into problems hosting three web servers behind the Linksys. They only support IP forwarding to a single address, so for example any incoming port 80 request can only get routed to a single server. (I use the 4-port, and I'm 98% sure I remember the 8-port ones are the same way).

(b) I think DHCP is a bad idea if you're running servers of any kind here -- last think you want is having to reconfigure port mappings every time you reboot a server.

Denodave was right, you need outside help.

My first question:

No you don’t need to set up an internal DNS Server.

Just redirect your host and servers to Query the ISP DNS servers.
Your second Issue: it makes the DNS my IP address my ISP gave me. SO you have the static IP address assigned to you from the ISP. Make this machine the Primary server and configure the machine with a Private IP address value. Redirect all requests for DNS Queries to the ISP DNS servers (Primary and Secondary values.} that they stated.
DHCP is a good idea if you want low administrative duties. Just exclude the IP values given to you from the ISP provider and your server. This process is called scope etc.
The real trick is to force secondary lookup. Make all you host save and Log-on to your Servers or server. Make all host requests Internet access thru the ISP.
To really answer your questions completely, what are the roles of the three servers?
Route once; switch many

I was just wondering, Would using the DFs set-up with win2000 server help tie all the servers together, or would it be easier to upgrade win2000 advance to cluster them together?

hi, i have a satellite connection for download and DSL for upload. by law all ISP's must block any site that has to do with adult materials or even an adult banner.

so is there a way I can make my IP bypass their block??

Check out

It might help you understand. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"Ideas control the world."
James A. Garfield (1831-1881) US president.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back