Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help: Modem reboots computer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickdrd

Programmer
Nov 21, 2003
GR
Hi guys!

Some months ago I upgraded my computer to a Pentium 4 (2.80 Mhz - 1Gb Ram), it runs very smoothly, with one problem though: When I click "Connect" on my connection, the first time I get connected to the internet, but when I disconnect
and try to connect again after some minutes, I get a reboot!

If I am lucky, I will connect, but the third time will be surely a restart!

After some hours of search, I found the following:
1) In the event viewer the message "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" is reported.
2) From time to time, when I click on connect button (second or third time (after having disconnected), I get
a Blue Sceen of Death (BSOD) with the message:
"STOP: 0x000000D1
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Address EB3A167C base at EB3A0000,
DateStamp ... - uhcd.sys (I have also got usbd.sys)
Beginning dump of physical memory"
3) I reinstalled the modem drivers (only in safe mode I could do this (normally I get a restart again), but
the same problems again...

My modem is a greek one (Crypto 56K Best II USB) and it
uses TAPI. I have both TAPI and Remote Access Connection services set to automatic.

Is there a workaround for such an issue?

Thanks in advance!

First off, let me start by stating USB devices are usually very quirky, so this may just be the way it is.

1. I would contact tech support of that modem and see what they say.

2. See if there is an updated driver.

3. Scan your pc for spywares using spybot or adaware, both available at
Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I did contact tech support of the modem, but unfortunately they couldn't help me at all!

You see, the modem is Greek and I cannot find any other driver in for example. And the manufacturers haven't updated its driver.

other tip: get a pci modem, they cost peanuts.

I agree, try a different modem.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back