Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help. Modem possessed by the devil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kes101

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
GB
Hello friends and thanks for looking at my problem. I have just moved house and am unable to connect to the internet in my new place. My PC was fine in the old house but not in the new one. Basically if i query the modem in device driver it comes back with success. I rang my ISP who told me to input some rather complex numbers(which i have no hope of remembering again) and i got the message NO CARRIER so my isp said the problem was with my modem. But i just cant help wondering why it was working OK in the old house. Any help with what NO CARRIER means will be grateful received.

When the modem goes off hook does it get dialtone? If it does do you hear it dial and then try to negotiate a connection?

Your modem should have 2 jacks. Verify that it is using the right one. And plug a phone into the other one and see if you can dial out.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also, do you have "line 1" and "line 2" in the new house? The wall plate sockets could be wired differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back