Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help Me With Inventory Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebrigham

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2013
US
OK, let me say that I have absolutely no idea how to program anything. It's just something that I do not get and I really appreciate all who do. I'd ask our programmer but he's on vacation and this is needed ASAP.

I've found a lot of scripts out there that do what need to be done, but most don't have the bit of info I do need and the ones that do have way too much other information and usually not some other bit of info I also need.

Let me tell you what I need and I pray someone can help.

I need a script that will do the following, if possible:
[ul]
[li]Scan all the computers on the domain without me having to input each one or log in to each one (I have a list of all the PCs in a text file)[/li]
[li]Return the computer name[/li]
[li]Return the make and model of the computer (ALL are Dell PCs)[/li]
[li]Return the service tag[/li]
[li]Return attached make, model, and serial number of attached monitor(s)[/li]
[li]Export everything into a neat little CSV file[/li]
[/ul]
That's all I need. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is time sensitive and if I even had an inkling of an understanding, I would try to copy/paste some scripts together to get what I need.

If it's so critical, and you have no interest in programming, maybe you should look into purchasing software that does the job. Short of that, you are probably not going to find someone who will just do all the work for you here. Members help those who need assistance, but it's not a code-writing forum.

Have a look at the FAQ below, in particular #10
faq222-2244

I never said I have no interest in programming, I just don't have the time to learn how to do this in the time frame I was given.

It's a long story as to why this is so critical and I know this isn't a code writing forum but every time I've had to look up something that needed code, I got it from here, so I thought I would try here first.

And I'm not coming out of pocket for software and I know the company I work for won't either.

I just don't have the time to learn
So, please, don't ask here ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I recommend you download and install Spiceworks.
That'll do the job and it's Freeware.
You'll have an oversight over all computers in your domain, make & model, computer name, last login name, patch status, antivirus status...

A little time and will to learn MUST be invested in any case.

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Hi [wavey3]
Try this [HTA] Computer Management Utility :
It is basically 25 scripts in 1 and incorporates the following scripts:
* Scan PCs in an IP range
* Get a full inventory of a PC
* Change Computer Description
* Change Local Admin Password
* Clean Temp Files
* Clear Application Event Log
* Copy Profile script completely rewritten for VB
* Delete old user profiles (older than the number of days specified) This now also deletes user reg files.
* View all Startup Items present on the PC and delete any entries as required
* Enable / Disable IE Proxy
* Enable / Disable RDP
* Retrieve Microsoft product Keys
* Run Comp Management
* List all installed updates / hotfixes on PC in text file
* Open any remote share (updated in 3.2)
* Ping machine
* Run PSExec command - thanks to royh for the cool idea!)
* Run Custom command - thanks to royh for the cool idea!)
* View all the processes on a PC and kill any as required
* Retrieve a list of all System Restore points and optionally create a new one
* Shutdown / restart / log off
* View profiles on machine
* Uninstall software (inc silent uninstalls if available) This will also monitor the uninstall and inform you when it is complete (as of update 3.2)
* Interrogate Services - view all services and optionally Start / Stop / Restart / Enable / Disable any as required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back