Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help me build out our network

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvnband

Programmer
Sep 7, 2005
I recently took on a new job as a programmer in a small office (7 users) environment. On my first day, I noticed what a complete mess everything was and started a cleanup effort. Now I'm THE guy that's going to fix their network.

They're currently running on a ridiculous number of home switches and hubs with a Netgear ProVPN firewall before everything. They have a number of servers internally, but nothing external-facing. They also have a cabinet to house this equipment. In an effort to speed up internal file transfers (We deal with multi-gig files), I am removing EVERYTHING related to the networking and we're going to build it from scratch. This means new cabling and new network hardware, preferably rack mounted (To take advantage of the space)

I'd like to have 2 runs to each office, which makes a total of 22 cable runs. We do have an IP phone system in the office, so that will need to be able to reach the outside still. They utilize wireless currently, but it's through a crappy D-link access point.

Here is what I'm thinking:

New small office router with wireless networking built-in. Since we have no externally facing machines, a dedicated firewall device is unnecessary.

New 48 port GigE switch, to allow for future expansion.

Lots of Cat 6.

Does my tentative plan sound alright? Do you have any hardware recommendations (Please assume < $1,000 for these changes...we already have the cable)

Few things I would address...you say you have a IP phone system, but where are the phones getting power from if your new switch is not PoE (or at least you did not mention PoE). The terminology of firewall is still valid; although a little archaic with what the current "firewalls" do now a days. Your thought process of not needing a "firewall" because you have no Internet facing machines is incorrect. Many security issues happen, not due to blocking ports which is what a classic firewall will do, but it is in the malicious code that comes through normall everyday ports that we use. Newer "firewalls", or sometimes known as threat management devices, are firewalls at their most basic function, but then they are also intrusion prevention systems, gateway level antivirus scanners, content and phishing filters, etc...

Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back