Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help - Installing Nvidia Graphics Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcspine

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2008
US
I'm trying to install a driver. It says that I can't run X-windows while installing, so I edited the default runlevel in inittab to boot into level 3. It didn't working, I was still getting X.

Then I tried running the command 'telinit 3' from within X, but it didn't boot into runlevel 3 like the manual said it would.

So then I tried editing the boot line in GRUB. I put a '3' at the very end of the boot string. It still booted into X!

I'm trying to switch to Linux, but it's being difficult for me.

Please help, I want to dump Windows Vista.

I forgot to mention that I'm running SimplyMEPIS 7

While in X press [green]CRTL + ALT + 2[/green] to get to console 2, [green]ALT + 7[/green] to get back. Log in then stop xdm. Issuing [tt][blue]/etc/init.d/xdm stop[/blue][/tt] as root should work on most systems. I don't have any hands on experience with SimplyMEPIS.

Just as an update, I decided to go to a different distro, 64Studio, as I will be using it as a DAW.

I have my Nvidia driver installed and working well, if not a little strange when switching resolution through the Nvidia applet sometimes.

Unfortunately, the latest driver didn't work, so I went back about 10 releases and got it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back