Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help in web designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijithamar

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
IN

hi
I am a VB6 application developer. now i got a chance to develop a simple Web site for an company.

Web site is for searching a product from a database
and display the details of it.

i would like to know which is th best language to develop a web-page. which databate is better and fast.(my data will be small in size).

i have visual studio.net 2003 with me. is this a good one to develop web-site?

and i like to know which operating system can i use.

if i am designing in visual studio.net. can i use linux server as my web server ?

Thanks
VijithAmar

A typical linux web server is LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
Hence, PHP may be the best language for your linux server.

However, if you're familiar with VB, an ASP (vb-script) site will probably be easier for you to develop.

In this question, there are no right answers - but many conflicting opinions.

You will need to understand 3 main things:[ul]
[li]your webserver: apache linux / apache windows / IIS windows[/li]
[li]your database environment: Access + windows ODBAC / MS SQL + windows / MySQL linux / PostgreSQL linux / oracle / etc[/li]
[li]your scripting language: PHP / ASP / CFM / JSP[/li]
[/ul]

Each of these is a detailed topic in it's own right (and indeed most of these have their own forum here at Tek-Tips).

I hope this gives you an idea of the scope, and a good place to start your research!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks manarth... your reply gives me an overall idea about
the website developing.

Thanks & regards
VijithAmar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back