Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help! I cant write polish signs in PM 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Oct 6, 2007
PL
I tried to write something in PM7 but I cant write polish signs like "?????Ó?" I dont know what to do... Please help me! I dont have much time...

About the only way I can think of doing it is to use the Windows Character Map. Find the characters that you need and copy them into your Text.

Western Pagemaker is all but obsolete and can not handle multibyte fonts. It can only see the first 256 characters. So if you are using characters from the extended set of an Opentype font, PM can not address them.

The workarounds are:

1. Create the page you require in Word or other app that supports Opentype fonts. Print the page, scan it as a TIFF image and place it into PM. You could use a PDF but it will only print correctly to postscript printer or another PDF.

2. Find a Truetype or Type1 font which has the characters you require. They will have only 256 charactgers.

3. Find a font mapping utility and create your own font from the Opentype which has the characters you require located within the first 256 characters.

4. Download a fully functional 30 day tryout copy of InDesign which has full opentype support from Adobe which could get you out of your crisis.

The long term answer is to permanently move to InDesign.

More info in these pages in Adobe's PM Support KB:
and

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back