Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

please, help, how can install my app vb6 in windows xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
vb6
ado 2.5

how can install my program made the setup with package and development wizard, in a machine that have windows xp home edition

please is urgent,,,

thank`s for any help

I am having the same problem. I have a program that will work on windows 9x, but not on windows xp. The people trying to use it gets a run-time error '6' overflow. I havent been able to test the program myself on windows XP. If anyone has any ideal, or would volunteer to test it for me please contact me at mschutte@bobevans.com

First question. Yes should be fine.

Second question. You need to work out at which point the error occurs, and then see if you might have missed something in the setup. Overflows can be caused by using integer for arithmetic where a long should be. That sort of thing. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

First, Sorry I missed typed on the first post. that was suppose to say that it wont work on xp

Second,

Yeah, I understand that. but there shouldnt be any overflow. The only time this happens is when someone tries to open the program on windows xp. Unfornately, I don't have windows XP, thats why I was asking if anyone would be willing to try and debug on windows xp. The variables I am using are set as variant, i believe. I would have to check that out again. But none of these variables go above a count of 52.

Thanks again for you quick response

I just got to looking that the form load procedure. I forgot that I try to set the window position to top most, maybe this is causing the overflow. I will look around for a solution to this

In desperation I have used an executable with message box every few lines so I could see the programme path and variable values. You could try that. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

its cool dude. thanks alot. I had a computer here that had windows 2000 on it. Which received the exact same message. So I went back and changed every integer to long. Re-compiled the program, and tested it out on the Window 2000 computer and it worked like it was suppose to. The problem was with the setwindowpos api.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

o.k.
my question was with the exactly error message, like this:

"the setup.exe is not a app win 32 valid."

this error i get , when i try to run my program setup created with pdw from vb6.

what may be wrong..

thank´s for your response...

alejandro

It sounds like your setup.exe is corrupted somehow. can you replace it? Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

have you downloaded and installed the service packs. I think one of the earlier service packs addressed this issue.

yes, i have install until servicepack 4 for vb6, and only i had this problem with the windows xp home edition, because, before to install this app in xp i installed the same app in a machine with win98 and no problem,

where i find last version of the setup program for replace

This is distinctly worrying. There have been several posts regarding problems installing on XP. I had decided already that I need an XP machine to test installs. I shall mention this to my wife (AKA the accounts department) as justification!
If this is really an XP problem, I can't help. Sorry. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

I Can't Get VB 6 Professional to install on my new computer upgrade to an XP 2000 processor. I get the message "Not able to startup due to an invalid system configuration..Missing or not registered VB6TMPL.TLB.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou,
Bernard J Staudt bernard@toolcity.net

I am having problems getting Visual Basic 6 to even run in windows XP (professional) .. i have to run the setup program in compatability mode (98 i think) and run visual basic in compatablility mode too.. the setup program fails to register some dll's but continues... and visual basic will only run twice (if im lucky) before i have to re-install it..it usually just kicks up a GPF i have Visual Studio 6 and the problem happpens with a few tools i get with it but not visual C++ ??!?!

I have had some problems installing on XP that have no problem installing on 2000, however some versions of XP that I have installed the same software (that was packaged by the P&D wiz) on have had no problems. It may be a buggy version of XP, or may be it just needs an update. If it works on 2000 and not on XP then its probably XP that has the problem.

I have had many problems with trying to deploy VB6 app on XP, Microsoft suggest using the Windows Installer program. It works well with VB6 plus it gives you better control on how your application(s) will install. You can get the Window Installer at msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/wininst.asp

You should get the book by Mike Gunderloy "VB/VBA Developer's Guide to the Windows Installer" by SYBEX.

If you are going to do any serious development and deployment of applications you should use the Windows Installer program over the Package and Deployment Wizard.

I used this program to deploy a VB6 app with a NT Service app on XP and Win2000 and it worked fine.

Any how,

Now you Know and Knowing is half the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back