Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help CSS question gone crazy !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokeeffe

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
IE
Hi

I would really like to know the answer to the folowing question.

I have a 3 column layout as follows

#rightside{
position:absolute;
width:130px;
top:104px;
right:0px;
background-color:#FFF;
display:block;
border: 1px solid black;
}

#leftside {
top:104;
left:0;
width: 9.5em;
border-right: 1px solid #000066;
border-top: 1px solid #000066;
padding: 0 0 1em 0;
margin-bottom: 1em;
font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', 'Lucida Grande',
Verdana, Lucida, Geneva, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
background-color: #000033;
color: #000066;
}

#middle{
margin-top:15px;
margin-bottom:3em;
margin-left:170px;
margin-right:150px;
padding-left:2px;
padding-right:2px;
color:#333333;
}

In the middle div i have the following div which hold the main text of my homepage
this is fine I am using the margin_left, right commands for positioning

#indexboxTitle{
margin-top:17px;
margin-left:0px;
margin-right:280px;
display:block;
border:1px solid #000033;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
}

Here is the problem I have another div besides this one still within the content div
but the only way I can get the correct position for this is by using absolute positioning
as follows

#indexboxSearch{
top:104px;
left:585px;
width:265px;
margin:0 auto;
background-color:#FFF;
border:1px solid #000033;
}

This is fine when the screen is maximised but on larger screens and when the browser window is
reduced the layout breaks down, due to this absolute position.

The question i have is this how can I code the indexboxsearch so that I can position it
where I want to.

To give you a better idea go to the box with the title Search Now is the
indexboxsearch div.

I really have no idea how to do this so any response would be most welcome as I am clueless
to the resolution of this problem

thanks in advance

Graham

Give your #middle position: relative; (nothing will change) and then your #indexboxSearch will be positioned absolutely within the #middle container (0 values for top, bottom, left and right will be boundaries of the #middle container).

Vragabond

I have tried what you said but still the indexboxsearch div is not rendereing correctly, if I view my site with a screen of 19inches then there is overlap between the divs.

Basically could you show me some sample code for aligning div's next to each other so it's a fluid layout

I added position: relative; to the #content element and everything fell into place. Of course, I had to reposition elements according to their new container.

Ok, did you repostion with absolute or relative positioning.

Could you show me if that is possible I have been trying to find the resolution to this problem for ages

Why don't you do what I suggested on the page (just change the values not the positioning itself) and then let us know if you still have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back