Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help... 10/100 MB Cable Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Dear There
I need your help.
I Use Asante Friendly cable router and i use too dlink switch to add some
port.
My problem is :
from Asante to D-link switch i use UTP cable cat 5, the led shown that its
connect with 100MB but
I can not connect computer behind Dlink to the router, its same too when i
use that cable to my PC.
But when i set my network card to 10 MB full duplex i can connect to the
router.
how i do to set the connection from the router to D-Link Switch to 10 MB
connection because i dont see any setting
from the router to do that.

regards
J4cks

J4cks,

I've seen this problem many times. Sounds like your problem may be in your cable. Since you said that you can connect to the router with your PC if you set your PC to 10baseT, it seems like your cable may not be Cat5 compliant. Twisted pair handles 10mhz easily without being Cat5 compliant, but 100BaseT equipment is very sensitive to cabling standards.

Also, with auto-sensing dual speed ports, they will always try to connect at 100mhz if the ports on both ends of the cable support it. Your best bet would be to use a fully Cat5 compliant cable, so that your switch and router can communicate at the full 100mhz.

Be sure to use Cat5 compiant cable and terminate the cable in accordance with a Cat5 compliant standard, such as 568a or568b.

Will

sounds like you need a cross-over cable (for example, 1-1, 2-6, 3-5, etc) but you are using a straight-thru cable (1-1, 2-2, etc). Do a web search on "cross-over cables" and you should be able to find a site that tells you how to exactly fabricate one for these two devices, because all cross-over cables are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back