Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Begin Transmitting the Fax Now 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elturko

Technical User
Feb 23, 2003
US
We are running CallPilot 4.0, and recently upgraded to SU03. Since the upgrade, any calls to our fax mailboxes play a "Please begin transmitting the fax now" prompt prior to the fax tones. I'm 99% sure that I had managed to turn that prompt off (and that it WAS turned off) before the upgrade. Now I can't find it, and haven't been able to find much help in the documentation either. It seems to be causing problems with a very small number of our branch offices whose fax machines refuse to send because they don't get fax tones right away.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to turn that off, or tell me that I was crazy and that we always had the prompt? :)

Thanks,
Matt

I forward mine to the MultiMedia Messaging App and not to the main voice messaging App and do not get that message....

Thanks, I will look into that when I'm back in the office next week.

You will have that problem with certain types of fax machines that wait for the tone before sending their own tone. I had a customer with the same problem and it was just that their fax DID was forwarding to the same primary CDN as their voice DID. The fax DID should be a phantom TN that is forwarded to the Multimedia Messaging CDN that is setup in Callpilot. Add the Phantom TN DN as an alternate extension in the mbox and you will get a fax tone right away.

Hope this helps
Rob

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Still getting the same thing, though. Bear with me as I explain what is set up and what I've tried.

Right now, our CallPilot (Voice Messaging) CDN is 1800. We did not have a Multimedia Messaging CDN defined. Our fax DNs are separate from voice DNs, and are one number higher than the voice DN (for example, my voice DN is 1628, fax is 1629). 1629 is an ACD queue with NCFW to 1800. 1629 is defined in CallPilot as an SDN to run the CallPilot application called "Fax Messages for 1628"; that application contains a single Express Fax Messaging node with 1628 specified as the mailbox. Prior to the upgrade, when you dialed 1629, it immediately picked up and provided fax tone.

At the suggestions above, I read through the documents to create a Multimedia Messaging CDN. I created the CDN in LD 23, ran the CP Config Wizard and added 1803 as the CDN. Rebooted CallPilot, and I saw it acquire 1800 and 1803 as it was booting. To test, I dialed 1803 and got the standard "CallPilot from Nortel, mailbox?" -- Is that what I should have heard?

Assuming that was set up correctly, I changed the NCFW field on ACD 1629 (my fax DN) to point to 1803 (the new Multimedia Messaging CDN). When I call, I still hear "Please begin transmitting the fax now." before the fax tone.

I also noticed another way to configure the SDN within CallPilot to totally bypass the application that was built. I changed the SDN type to "Express Fax Messaging" and specified 1628 as the mailbox. With that configuration, when I dial 1629, I hear my personal verification recording (my name), followed by "Please begin transmitting...", so that's even worse.

I tried using the Multimedia Messaging node within the CallPilot application, but that didn't let me specify the target mailbox.

I also tried adding 1629 as an alternate DN on mailbox 1628. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Looking through Nortel's support site today, the only reference I could find to this prompt was in a bulletin of top CallPilot issues from last year. That bulletin seemed to indicate there was a patch that applied to SU01, though it didn't say specifically what the patch was for. Is it possible that with the upgrade to SU03, whatever that patch did was lost, so now this prompt is back?

BTW -- I'm not sure why our fax DNs are set up as ACD instead of phantom TNs... that what the vendor who installed the system did. Would that make any difference?

I *think* I've tried what you both have suggested, but perhaps I misunderstood something. If you can provide any additional suggestions, or show me what I did wrong, I would appreciate it. If any TN or ACD prints would be helpful, let me know.

THANKS!

--Matt

I would definitely change from Dummy ACDNs to Phantom TNs. In theory it should do the same thing, but you never know. When I got mine working it was with a Phantom TN DFCW'd to the multimedia messaging CDN. The Phantom TN DN was then added as an alternate DN in the mbox and removed from the SDN table altogether. I think that the docs do say Phantom TN and not dummy ACDN but I can't be sure.

Hope this helps
Rob

Rob --

Thanks for your help on this. It is finally working! I left the dummy ACDs, but removed the fax DN from the SDN list and added it as an alternate DN on the mailbox. That coupled with the ACD forwarding to the multimedia messaging DN instead of voice messaging DN got rid of the voice prompt before the fax tone. The user is happy, our other offices are happy, the angels are singing, and.... well, you get the idea.

Seriously though, thanks. Just one more thing our vendor didn't set up correctly in the Option 11 that's come back to bite us.

Now, any easy way to update the NCFW on about 200 ACDNs? ;-)

I know a lot of people on this site use procomm and scripting very successfully, but I am still a novice in that arena. A simple script could be set up to change that based off of a list of ACDNs.

If you aren't familiar with scripting it will take longer to get it figured out than it would to change them manually. On the flip side learning how to use scripting can be a big time saver for other projects so the time spent may be worth it.

Good Luck
Rob

Looks like Procomm is no longer in development (at least I couldn't find anything recent.) I did find a program called SecureCRT, though, that allowed me to easily script this. It uses VBScript as its scripting engine, which I was already very familiar with, so all the ACDs are now repointed to the Multimedia Messaging DN.

Thanks again

like I said, I am a novice in the scripting world although I have done some things with VBA and Excel in the past.....Can you send me a link to download secureCRT if it is free and also a copy of the script you used to do this?

Thanks
Rob

Unfortunately, it's not free, but does have a 30-day trial.
The thing I really liked about it was that you could record keystrokes to the script, rather than writing it from scratch. So I did one manually, then added the variables and looping to do the other 199 of them. This is definitely going on my wishlist for next fiscal year.

Here's the VBScript:
Code:
#$language = "VBScript"
#$interface = "1.0"

Sub Main
	Exit sub
	FaxDNList = "1603,1605,1607"  'Place comma-separated list of ACDNs here
	FaxDNArray = Split(FaxDNList, ",", -1)  'Convert list to an array for easy looping

For i = 0 To UBound(FaxDNArray)
		Call SetCPMMCDN(FaxDNArray(i))
		crt.sleep 1000  'Wait one second before continuing
	Next
	MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Sub SetCPMMCDN(TargetACDN)
	crt.Screen.Send "chg" & chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "TYPE "
	crt.Screen.Send "acd" & chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "CUST "
	crt.Screen.Send "0" & chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "ACDN "
	crt.Screen.Send TargetACDN & chr(13) 'ACDN is here, passed in to the subroutine
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "MWC  "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "DSAC "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "MAXP "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "SDNB "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "BSCW "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)
	crt.Screen.WaitForString "ISAP "
	crt.Screen.Send chr(13)