Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please assist - VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli1009

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
IL
Hi guys,

I really need your help.

We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.

It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange Server (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18 MB/Min.

The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself, it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.

Any idea what can cause this?
Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head over it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Some details about our software/hardware:

Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server

The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from 02.09.2003)

Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691

I can tell you we are having a very similar problem. We backup about 130GB a night and it took just over 16 hours. Yesterday we switched out driver from the HP to the Veritas. Dropped the run time to 9 hours. This is still far too Long but better. I will post here if we ever figure this out.

First you need to determine if the issue is network or hardware related or both.
An Exchange Mailbox backup usually run about 50-100mb/min on average. The exchange is backup should run faster.
Make sure you have the latest backup exec drivers intalled. Is the backup server windows 2000 or 2003?

Create a backup to disk folder and run a local backup. See how the backup to disk job runs. If its a little faster then its not the tape device...its the data being backed up. If it a big differenct then start troubleshooting the SCSI/Tape Device. Update Firmawre, Scsi drivers, etc.
As far as remote server backups. From you backup server unc to a remote machine and copy about 100megs to the desktop on the media server. Watch the file copy and notice the time it report to copy and also time it. Does it average out to what your seeing in the job logs...then its a network problem. I would set all the NIC to 100/Full on all the server. Make sure the switch is set the same way...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back