Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLDS or WebLM

finest

MIS
May 11, 2011
US
We are deploying a new Server Edition (on Avaya Dell hardware) and ASBCE (also on Avaya Dell hardware (VEP1425)).

For the server (will be the only server) - do you recommend PLDS or WebLM? And if WebLM, on its own machine or on the VEP1425 or on a separate machine?

For the ASBCE (will be the only SBC) - look like it requires WebLM - and i think i read that you cant use the IP Office's WebLM (i wonder why) - so should i use its own WebLM or a separate machine WebLM?

and why?

thanks!

IPOSE has its own WebLM, and I recommend PLDS. (You may encounter problems using WebLM)

For SBCE, if you have a hardware appliance you don't need, on the VMWare deployment, you should have standalone WebLM.

When you deploy Server Edition, WebLM is included. Using the Host ID from this WebLM and LAC, you can activate and download license file from plds.avaya.com.
For ASBCE. you can use either the Host ID of Server Edition WebLM or its own WebLM to activate the license. After activation on PLDS, your ASBCE must connect to that WebLM to acquire the license.
This is the process we follow for APAC, but I'm not sure if it differs in your region.

IPOSE has its own WebLM, and I recommend PLDS. (You may encounter problems using WebLM)

For SBCE, if you have a hardware appliance you don't need, on the VMWare deployment, you should have standalone WebLM.
What type of problems using web LM?
And does WebLM standalone have to be on VMware or can it just be on the metal server?
And if I don’t have VM, where should I just use the web LM that is comes with SBCE?

The VEP has it‘s own WebLM. So no need for a separate one.

IPO Servers have their own WebLM as well. Local licensing is supported and WebLM licensing is supported. If you hav only one machine, then local licensing is the easiest. If you have multiple nodes in a Server Edition Network the WebLM licensing gives you more flexibility as all licenses are on the central WebLM and there is no need to have some licenses local. I.e. you need PRI licenses activated for the specific node if you have local licensing. If you use WebLM licensing the node can grab the license from WebLM. In some cases (not very often) the WebLM connection doesn’t work.

The license activation process in PLDS portal is the same

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back