Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playing mpg and mov files on a computer with Quicktime installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knexo10

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
AU
I want to create a Interactive CD catalogue for some products, Each has a video file that needs to be displayed. I don't want to use AVI files as they seem to be way to large to fit on one CD. I would like to use MPG files but apparently you need an "xtra" to use them in Director. (I have only just started using Director.)

This is weird as I have inserted a couple of them into my project and they seem to work fine. I then try the Projector file I created on another computer and they worked again. Last I tried it on another computer the same type as the second but the video shows up as a Red Cross. The only difference I can see between the two computers is that Quicktime is installed on the one that works.

1. Will obtaining an xtra fix this problem or do you have to have Quicktime installed on the viewing computer?

2.If the xtra will solve the problem will the video run straight for the CD or will the person viewing it have to install something?

3. Can you obtain these xtra's for free? Where?

4. Is there another program other than Director that will include mpg's into an interactive CD along with pictures text and links? (only asking because Director seems to be Expensive and over featured for what I need).

yes, the xtra will fix your problems, run off the CD and there might be a free one. Go to the macromedia site, they have a listing of the xtras you can get.

As for other software, yes there is other stuff out there. Was a post not to long ago about other softare so you might have some luck going back a few pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back