Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playing MP3 Files in Windows 95 (MMControl Won't Work!) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrytraver

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
I've just written a VB 6 program which works great in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME except for one thing....

Although the program is mainly a program to help people memorize text word-for-word, it makes use of background music. Here's the problem: The MMControl is able to play both *.MID files and *.MP3 files in Windows ME, but it can only play *.MID files in Windows 95. (I haven't tested it with Windows 98, but my guess is that *.MP3 files won't work there either.)

Is there a way that I can get the program to play *.MP3 files when running in Windows 95?

Since the program works great in all other respects, It would be great if I could get it to play *.MP3 files with Windows versiions earlier than Windows ME.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Barry Traver

basically your problem is the Codecs, whatever codecs are isntalled on a system, the Multimedia control can play that, in Win98 and ME , typically if you try to play an unsupported file in the media player, it will automatically contact microsoft.com to download a codec, if supported.

WinME I belive comes with this codec
Win98 Downloads it when needed
Win95 I do not belive has any auto-update feature, at Mp3 did not seem to be a big thing at the time of the release of Win95.

I'm not sure where you could manually download codecs for it, let alone if its even supported on win95. (Players like Sonique and Winamp, do not use these system codecs, they actually decode and play the mp3s themselves) Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back