Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playing Audio CD's problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houptee

Technical User
Jan 18, 2002
US
Hi group, I am running XP on a older FIC socket 7 motherboard with a AMD K62-450, 256mb Ram.

The on-board sound would not work properly under XP, I tried flashing Bios, downloading newest drivers etc., no luck, it just sounded like a machine gun. I then disabled the on board chip in the Bios and bought a sound board at the computer show. It is a 4 channel type with a Cmedia chipset CMI8738. Well it works ok now as far as windows sounds, but if I play a audio CD, it sounds all choppy. I tried everything, newest drivers, moving it to diff. PCI slot,etc. no change.

I then noticed something, the thin cable inside the case, that runs from the CD to the soundboard doesnt have any effect if unplugged while listening to a audio CD. I tried unplugging that small cable on my other pc that is working fine and it had no effect on music playback either.

What is the purpose of that small cable? It says "audio out" on my CD ROM but it must play thru the IDE cable. Anyone have any advice or ideas?
Thanks

the little grey cable is for audio playback where the files are being read off of the cd , make sure you didnt have it plugged in the wrong way on both ends, it doesnt really say so it is a trial and error situation , but i think red is for pin 1, though im not sure, try that and see whats up then. hope this helps

You must have an option checked for "digital sound" and need to change it to "analog" to play through the cable. I don't remember where this option is at the moment. Maybe someone else remembers if you don't find it. What program are you using for playback?
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I found it. Go to settings>>>control panel>>>multimedia>>.
Click on the CD Music tab and down at the bottom make sure the Enable digital CD audio is not checked. This may be grayed out and not a usable option. If it is grayed out there may be an option in your playback software such as Windows Media Player to select "analog" playback. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

also, verify that on the soundcard the cable is actually plugged onto pins marked aux. I have seen several soundcards that have power pins, and technicians have pluged the audio cable onto those by mistake.

This is all a little contradictive as I was told an audio cable is not required when using Windows XP O/S.
Maybe someone has documented information as to if this is correct or not.
I know an audio cable is required for 95/98. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

You are probably right. I know nothing about XP. I thought it was "pirate proof", but a lot of people use pirated copies and are getting away with it. I'm sticking with Win98. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

i think poparazi is right, i dont have an audio cable going from my burner to sound card and i can play (and hear) audio cd's in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back