Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playback of in NICE Query Requires Login as Administrator (NT 4.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdoaust

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
AU
Please advise if you have any idea on the problem described below:

We installed NICE CLients in the workstations (Windows NT 4.0) to control and retrieve/playback of audio recorded (in the NICE LOGGER) via the LAN connection to the NICE CLS Server.

At the workstations, the operator uses the NICE Clients (QUERY) to perform a New Query to retrieve the recorded voice. The Query consisted of a number of audio segments.

In NICE Query, clicked on any Audio segment and tried to playback. Playback failed with error indicating that the Application failed to perform the requested Operation Due to Systems Error.

This problem only occurred when login using a non-Administrator account at the Windows NT 4.0.

We know that there is a workaround by saving the audio segments to Wav File and playback using other Media player but this is not acceptable.

In Windows NT 4.0, I tried to give permission for Everyone to have Full Control in the Registry Settings for NICE applications but did not solve this problem.

Would anyone know of a way to configure the NICE CLients 8.5(Administrator, Query, Monitor) software to allow normal user login to Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and run playback within NICE CLients Query ?

Regards,
C. Do

Hi,

In Nice Administrator, when you select the "normal user" you would like to use, check in the Privileges tab that you have the right access (ex: In Applications->Query, make sure it has a right to play a call; And check also the channels).

If you think it is correctly configured, and if it still does not work, try to change the profile of the user to a Supervisor profile, or System Admin, just to see if it changes anything.

Arnaud

Thank you for your reply.

Well for the NICE Query login at the Client, we actually used the login details for Admin Profile setup by NICE Administrator, to connect to the NICE CLS.

But the login to the PC Operating System (Windows NT 4 on a remote User's PC) where the NICE Client is located (for operator's remote control), we used the Normal Windows NT user account.

So the problem is in the NICE Client installations on a PC with Operating System Windows NT. What services, registries or files installed for NICE need to have special access/privileges to operate Playback.

Regards
C. Do

Sorry, I got confused between Nice logins and NT logins.

From what I understand, if you log in on NT as Administrator and run Nice Query with a Nice login, it works, and if you log in on NT as another user and use the same Nice login in Nice Query, you cannot play back the call over the LAN.
Got it right?

The error you get is an NT error or a Nice error?

The first thing I can think of would be a limited access to the PC audio ressources for the NT user.
Or perhaps some restriction of the UDP packets sent from the logger to the PC, for that NT user (for example by a firewall, but it is unlikely).

Arnaud

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes, login to the PC Windows NT as a Normal User prevented playing back Audio within NICE Clients Query Application with system error. If login as Admin at Windows NT, playback using this NICE Query Client was ok.

We confirmed that using either Windows Media Player or NICE Media Player, it was ok to access and playback audio using the PC audio resource.

There is no Firewall setup in our LAN network. For security, we must setup the Operator login at each PC as Normal user to prevent any unauthorised changes.

Regards,
CD

Just a thought, but have you checked how the SQL connection (DSN) to the cls server is set-up ?

Nice released a patch to lock down some of the blatantly obvious security holes in their SQL set-up, this often means that the SQL connection has to be logging in as "nice" with whatever "nice" password you have.

I'm not really sure WHY this happens, as im by no means an SQL admin but I think it has something to do with the "owner" of the records in the tables on the CLS.

Easy way to fix it... logon to the machine as local admin or domain admin, browse to your data sources (Control Panel), click on the System DSN tab then select the connection to your Nice CLS.

Next click configure, then click next, when asked : "How should SQL Server verify the authenticity of the login ID?" there are 2 options :

1. With Windows NT authentication using the login ID
2. With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user.

Select OPTION 2 !! You will then see that the greyed out box at the bottom of the screen is ungreyed... the login name probably says either "administrator" or the username of the person logged on - change the login name to the login ID of the NICE admin account (the nice account, NOT the NT account) and also enter the relevant password. If you dont know these details, see below.

The default SQL server admin details are login ID: sa, password is blank. WARNING: Although setting this up with "sa" will work, it will also open up your CLS server to various security holes - try to use the nice admin account's login details.

Then click NEXT, NEXT and FINISH. This will bring you to a screen where you can TEST the connection to the data source, click on Test and it should complete successfully... you should then be able to use nice query properly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris Lynch
mailto:chris@chrislynch.net

Forgot to say, you should then be able to log the admin account out of the Workstation. Any user that then logs onto that PC should have tyhe same SQL connection set-up to the NICE CLS.

Regards,
Chris Lynch

Forgot to say, you should then be able to log the admin account out of the Workstation. Any user that then logs onto that PC should have the same SQL connection set-up to the NICE CLS.

Regards,
Chris Lynch

Excellent help from everyone so far.

Yes, the DSN has been setup to use NICE admin account setup on the NICE CLS server.

However, I am sorry but none of the suggestions has resolved this particular problem yet.

I may need to clarify that the problem is associated with performing playback of the Audio Segment in NICE QUERY via LOCAL OUTPUT of the PC where this NICE client application is installed.

The error message on the PC, where playback is performed locally, showed: "Playback cannot be completed due to systems problems. Please Retry.". This error occurred when the NT user is not an Admin type. And note that no other Media Player complains except when playback is performed within the NICE Client Query application.

Regards,
C. Do

Hmm..... well I know this is an insecure solution, but just for test purposes, could you try to setup the DSN to use the "sa" username and blank password login details... I have a funny feeling it will work fine.

Another possibility im thinking of is maybe the "Standard" NT user's account is so restricted and locked down that they dont have permissions to run the NICE Media player or execute command from it ?

Let me know how this turns out.

Regards,
Chris Lynch

Hi again,

Ran NICE Media application has always been ok. But not playback by LOCAL OUTPUT when selecting an audio segment by double-clicking on a queried item listed within NICE QUERY.

Tried both 'sa' and also for NICE Admin for DSN - no problem.

User setup only uses standard NT Normal user type.

Regards
CD

In case NICE Query had been installed on the PC while logged as Administrator, have you tried reinstalling it when logged as the normal NT user?

BTW, about the Administrator login and the normal user login, are they both local accounts of your NT Workstation?

Rgds,

Arnaud

Yes, the users were tested and proved the problem was independent of whether the login wa Local to the PC or via network Domain Profile.
Regards
CD

Sorry that what seem to be a simple problem is actually quite confusing to pinpoint where the problem source is.

I need to clarify that login as local user did not solve the problem. And DSN login used "sa" or NICE Admin login also did not solve this playback issue within Query.

Regards,
CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back