Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Play movie clip when button released

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovygarden

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
Hi apologies in advance for the really basic question coming up....

I've created a movie clip symbol called MovieOne (I put a lot of thought into the name!) and I want to make an instance of it play when a user clicks a button. I get that I have to use actions to make this happen, but that's about all I get! Do I need to create an instance of MovieOne and insert it into its own layer in the timeline? If so how do I stop it from just playing straight away?

I tried this action for my button (where Mov1 is the instance name of the movie clip)
Code:
on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay(Mov1);
}
but I wasn't surprised when that didn't work!

I had a search for a tutorial on this but no luck - could anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help is v much appreciated - really want to work this one out...

Thanks

ok make the first frame of movieone empty and put a stop(); in the frame. place an instance of movieone on the stage and give it an instance name through properties (same name will do so call it movieone)

then on the button

on (release){
_root.movieone.gotoAndPlay(2);
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back