Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Play button freezes in monitor window

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingalls71

Technical User
Aug 25, 2008
US
Everything else seems to work ok except playback. This has happened to me two other times since I installed Premier 3 last December. I was however able to reinstall and it and then it worked. I did that this time (several times) and it's just frozen. The last time I used it it was fine. I started it yesterday and it wouldn't play a file I loaded from Real Player.
I have Vista HE on a Dell 531 desktop and Nvidia G-force 4, gigs ram. I uninstalled Pinnacle TV center but no luck. No other changes were made except I installed a codec to convert .MOD files from a JVC camcorder. Both of those programs have been uninstalled.
Any ideas?

Timeline playback issues are most often related to using inappropriate material on the timeline.

Premiere works best with DV AVI files for non-HD material. Highly-compressed formats like MPEG or DivX do not work as well.

Many posts on this subject if you search the various Premiere forums.

What is the format of your clips?

Another cause of grief on some systems is having the camera plugged in and switched on, especially if you are working from an external FireWire drive. Doesn't affect all systems, but enough to be mentioned in posts to forums.

The format is .mpg, and the file was 2.69g. I imported the same file onto my HP laptop and everything is fine.

I need to get Premier to work again. Nothing plays back, not even files that I've been editing for sometime. I went back and checked other posts but haven't seen anything that I didn't try already.

Premiere Pro is really not very good at temporarily-compressed footage (eg MPEG) on the timeline. Much better to start with DV footage.

Look at the first paragraph of for example, for some background in this area.

If you have mostly MPEG as source material, you might want to look at Premiere Elements, which is reported to be more comfortable with MPEG than Pro.

I have had the same problem, and i desperately need to fix it. I'm editing a movie for a festival, and can't have premiere fail like this.

I'm running mine on a macbook, 2gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, and 2.2 processor.

what happens is, and just started happening about a week ago. I will start a project, or open one, and after about 15 seconds of editing or playing the footage it will just stop. Then the play button (or space bar shortcut) will be unresponsive. It just shows the frame where the cursor is at.

I'm using dvformat imported video

please let me know if you can help
thanks

I am not familiar with Mac issues, I'm afraid. If you have problems with DV footage in standard format, then yours is a very different issue to the MPEG problem that is the subject of this thread.

You might want to check that your scratch disks are set properly and also that there is space on the boot drive for the caching that is used behind the scenes.

If no-one else jumps in, I suggest you try the Adobe forum for PPro CS4.

I have had the same problem, and i desperately need to fix it. I'm editing a movie for a festival, and can't have premiere fail like this.

I'm running mine on a macbook, 2gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, and 2.2 processor.

what happens is, and just started happening about a week ago. I will start a project, or open one, and after about 15 seconds of editing or playing the footage it will just stop. Then the play button (or space bar shortcut) will be unresponsive. It just shows the frame where the cursor is at.

I'm using dvformat imported video

please let me know if you can help
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back