Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planning to upgrade from Approach 97; any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

budacuda

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
US
I guess I've resigned myself to having lost my .apr file from Approach 97. If I have to rebuild it I know I ought to update my database software to something perhaps more compatable with Windows 2000. Any suggestions? Should I stick with Lotus or switch to Microsoft Access? Access has a PDA version which is potentially useful to me. I haven't found a Lotus pda application. But then pda's are becoming full blown computers. Maybe I should upgrade my pda. Anyway, I need a dbase program. Do you, Paul, or anyone else have a suggestion. I'm also going to post this query as a new thread to possibly widen the input.

SmartSuite 9.6 or higher is compatible with W2000; 9.7 or higher with XP. The last standalone version was 9.5 but it isn't very good.

SS9.8 is the current release, OEM copies of 9.7 are widely available at clearance prices.

In general Approach is much cheaper and easy to use for non-programmers.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Is training a consideration? I haven't found any training for Approach. There seems to be more training available for Access. Is there training available for Approach?

Approach is so much easier to use, it rarely requires any instruction to become productive unless you are a total novice at doing any database development work.

If you need an overview of Approach, one source for video training is .

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back