Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planning for free disk space for LU

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallows

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
Does anyone know how Solaris determines/uses the free disk space when performing a Live Upgrade?

If I have 10gb of free disk space in /opt, will Solaris use that or do I need to allocate 10gb to a slice and just not use it?

We have a 136gb disk and I have plenty of space, but just not sure how to allocate it for future upgrades.

Thanks

Im not really understanding what you are asking.

What I can tell you, on subject or not is:

PBE= primary boot enviroment (current environment/OS you system is running on before upgrading.

ABE= Alternate boot environment (one you just created)

If you plan on doing a live upgrade on a system, you need to have the partition layout already assigned on the disk that you plan to be your live upgrade target (ABE).

If you need to make changes to the disk you plan on using as your live upgrade target....

What I do sometimes is on a system that is mirrored using software raid (SVM). I will detach one side of the mirror. At this point, on paper I lay out what I would like to see my new boot environment to look like, sizing and particular filesystems. I then transfer this to disk by modifying the partition table of the disk that was just detached from the mirror.

At this point you can run live upgrade against the newly partitioned disk. Your new ABE disk

lucreate .....

luupgrade....

done

you now have two functioning boot environments, depending on what disks you are using within the system, you can keep both or confirm that the ABE is running fine and then delete the PBE.

In my environment, currently I am stuck having to create an ABE, do a verification and then deleting the PBE. This is because I do not have extra local disks on my systems. I plan to implement a process using my existing 2 disks that will alleviate me from having to delete my primary BE after creating my ABE in the summer when I live upgrade the 45 hosts to update 8. But that is off topic.

Note: the only reason I have to delete the PBE is the setup raid 1 on my newly created ABE.

it also should be noted that if you ever do another live upgrade on these systems again, and you plan to use the same filesystem layout, you can do as I said about mirroring above, IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE SAME PARTITION LAYOUT, all you have to do is just detach your submirror and run the lucreate against that disk.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back