Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planning a total geek out week. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitelo

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
Ive got a couple of old computers and a cheap hub, and a full weeks vaction next week and a freshly burned copy of fedora... one machine is a generic pent 133 with 256mb ram and the other is a 800 mhz hp with 256mb ram, have already installed fedora on the hp.

my current plan is to set the 133 up as a simple web/email server and to set the hp up as a file/data server (samba/mysql) i also have a family machine with dsl, with xp/home and visual basic dot net<<<really would like to see some kind of connection to mysql by the end of the week)

note: No buget for new machines/parts.

guess im looking for any other suggestions as to "stuff" I should play with... Im wanting to improve my skills and knowlege of networking and linux. (this was my first time with fedora)

if it is to be it's up to me

A full week of vacation? And you are going to do computer "stuff?" I used to do that but no more! You should really spend your time on other activities. Sure, you are going to say I love computers and what I do, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Really, do something else. It would really be beneficial and helpful. If you like to draw, do that. If you like cycling, do that. If you like hiking, do that. Do something else though. Really!

I know it isn't the answer you was looking for, however, you did ask for suggestions for other things you could play with.

Set the old box up as firewall/router too.
However, I agree thsi should be done in spare time, not on vacation. Get a life :)

Get a dog. There are so many in rescue centers. They would love to help you relax and have fun.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I would set up a small network with doom95 and watch my kids, and the neighbor kids play, or else let them race against each other in Need for Speed. I personally love to play Jack Jazz Rabbit against my youngest daughter

Steven

I highly suggest installing Webmin! It has configurations for a ton of uses... I haven't got bored with it yet!

Have fun (cause thats what a vacation is about)!

X

Thanks for the responses, I will include time with the family (maybe go carts/walk in the park/movie, ect...)

my last vaction, i took a tech hiatis{spelling?}, no phone, no motor car, it was badly needed at the time and felt great! my duties have been very light at work, (just finished maintence/upgrade on 33 very remote locations.. waiting for a major changeover of main software) trying to sharpen the ol' noodle a bit.

webmin is a great suggestion. (seen it in action but haven't installed. and looks like shorewall for setting up the router :)

just found a geocities web site i started(but never finished about five years ago, boy that looks sorry.

maybe i should update that too.

if it is to be it's up to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back