Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plain English Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgews

Instructor
Apr 8, 2001
NZ
Does anyone know how to have "Plain English Queries" rather than ordinary Access ones - or if this is possible? I have a client who would like to be able to query in plain English through a form. I have suggested the wild card query such as *words queried* format but that is not what they want
Thanks
George

You could create a multiple option form like the Advance Search boxes you see on Google or Lycos, etc.

For instance you can easily create code in a form's module to add an Asterisk fore and aft of a word entered by the user and then use that to search for inclusive or exclusive strings.

But if the client wants to type in "When will I be famous?" and get an answer, they need a prophet, not a programmer.

Good Luck
Rod

The brief answer is that this is not possible. Access queries are written in SQL, a highly structured language, with pretty precise syntax needs. Access provids the query grid to get round this to a degree. but there are tasks that the grid can't tackle. Union queries, involving simultaneous extraction of information with different structures from multiple tables, are the best example. Your client should be persuaded to dive in at the deeop end of the query grid. It's not that bad, really. I live in south africa and have taught the rudiments to people with little formal education by first world standards. It can b done and the faces when success comes are unforgettable.

Thanks guys - thats about what I thought the answer would be but it is good to get confirmation. I am familiar with wildcards usage in queries etc so will run with that concatenated to a parameter box meantime. Maybe get energetic and write some code to do it through a form later.
Cheers [morning]

Take a look at Steve Nyberg's site at His freeware solutions can be readily adapted to allow novice
users to filter forms and reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back