Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

placing greyscale images into a 2C ID file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamitall

Technical User
Jul 25, 2009
US
I'm new to InDesign (using CS3), and am working on a 2C brochure with greyscale images and type with drop shadows. When I look at the separation preview, there are two blacks, process and a spot black. How do I combine these? Sorry if this is a basic question, but I've been trying to figure this out and can't get anywhere.
Thnx!

...combining color plates can be performed in the ink manager, either at output to postscript and pdf, or inside indesign itself...

...this is known as ink aliasing...

...the ink manager inside indesign is found in the color swatches palette flyout menu (top right of palette), in that list is the ink manager...

...the ink manager is also found in the print setup and pdf export dialogs...

...in the ink manager you select the ink you want to alias to and choose the new color you need to map it to via the pull down menu at the bottom (ink alias)...

...when doing this inside indesign you won't see it change unless you have overprint preview turned on, you can check the plates in the separations preview palette (window > output > separations preview)...

...do note that the ink manager is great for a lot of work, but i have come across situations where it fails with imported PDF files, so use with caution. It also won't allow you to map default process colors to a spot color, you need high end rips to achieve that...

...the ink manager is also part of acrobat pro...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back