Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Placing different data fields into the same location at the Details section

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDAnalyst

Technical User
Dec 2, 2005
US
Hello to all gurus there,

I am using CR 2013 linking to an SQL 2016 database as well as doing OLE DB (ADO) connection to multiple excel workbooks.

We have main data coming from the SQL database but we still have to keep some of the specific data in different .xlsx spreadsheets.

These are spreadsheets that contain additional information for different types of crimes that are not stored at the SQL database and need to pull one of the comments fields to the CR report based on the crime type.

I can successfully link and display the field for a specific type of a crime but is there any way that I can do it at the same Details section anchoring for different types of crimes:

As an example:

Crime Type Address Date Misc Info
Robbery 123 Main St 08/01/18 Susp wearing black mask (This info coming from Robbery excel spreadsheet)
Burglary 555 Central Ave 08/02/18 Broken in at night, cigarettes stolen (This info coming from Burglary excel spreadsheet)
Stolen Vehicle 12 Something Ave 08/02/18 Susp took car with keys in ignition (This info coming from Stolen Vehicle excel spreadsheet)

In all of the cases, I want the Misc Info to display in the same location at the report even though that info is coming from multiple separate spreadsheets

Thanks for any assistance

S.E.

Please use TGML to format. I’m using the PRE code...
[pre]
Crime Type Address Date Misc Info

Robbery 123 Main St 08/01/18 Susp wearing black mask (This info coming from Robbery excel spreadsheet)
Burglary 555 Central Ave 08/02/18 Broken in at night, cigarettes stolen (This info coming from Burglary excel spreadsheet)
Stolen Vehicle 12 Something Ave 08/02/18 Susp took car with keys in ignition (This info coming from Stolen Vehicle excel spreadsheet)
[/pre]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Create a formula use your database fields and excel locations to replace my text

This assumes there is a one to one link from DB to Excel records

@Misc

If {CrimeType} = 'Burgulary' then {burgularyExcel} else
If {CrimeType} = 'Robbery' then {RobberyExcel} else
If {CrimeType} = 'Stolen Vehicle' then {StolenVehicleExcel} else
whatever your default is

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back