Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pl/sql + text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbpelletier

Programmer
Sep 8, 2001
CA
hi,

im trying to write some data to a text file without succes.(looks like im attempting to write on the server instead of my cpu, not sure) I whant to know how would u do to write in a text file located "on" our cpu in pl/sql.

lets say how to write "hello" in C:\test.text.

any help appreciated,
jb

JB,

I saved the following code to a script called, "tt_277.sql". Then I ran the script from the SQL*Plus prompt. (Cut and paste will not work since the "set echo off" command works only to suppress scripted code.)
Code:
set echo off
spool JB.txt
set serveroutput on format wrap
begin
    dbms_output.enable(1000000);
    dbms_output.put_line('Hello');
end;
/
Here are the invocation and results of running "tt_277.sql":
Code:
SQL> @tt_277
Hello

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> host
C:\> type JB.txt
Hello
The "set serveroutput on format wrap" opens a connection for the "dbms_output.put_line" packaged procedure to output to your screen. The "dbms_output.enable(1000000);" command instructs the package to create a million-byte output buffer (the default is 2000 bytes).

The "spool" command writes to your client-side disk; Oracle PL/SQL's "utl_file" flat-file-manipulation package works against the server-side disks only (which probably explains your earlier problem).

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

this "could " prolly works with my need. Do there is a way to do all "inside" the package..

cause those lines looks like SQL*Plus parameters and not PL/SQL...

set echo off
spool JB.txt
set serveroutput on format wrap

Sorry, JB, I didn't notice in your original specs that you wanted to do this from inside a package...Ooops...it's not in your original specs. <grin>

You can certainly use the "DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE" in a PL/SQL package, but whatever your outside calling environment is, it must be ready to accept the output to the screen and be able to spool that output to a file.

Otherwise, I cannot think of a way to instruct PL/SQL to output to a client-side file (especially when invoked from a PL/SQL package). If someone else can think of a way to write to a client-side file (besides via some SPOOL-like command), then please post here.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back