Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PL/SQL procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasniper

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
US
I want to make Oracle execute the DBMS_REFRESH package, without having to expose my users to SQL*Plus.

Is there a way I can either package the DBMS_REFRESH command into a stored procedure, or some other packaging, like an executable? Ideally, I'd like to make it so users can just click on a button on a webpage and have the Oracle refresh it's snapshots.

I'm not a programmer, so maybe I'm missing something. However I don't see why you have to put dbms_refresh into a procedure. Why not simply execute dbms_refresh.refresh directly when your users click the web page?

I wouldn't know how to do that.

How do you get to essentially the Oracle commandline from a webserver? Perl procedure maybe?

I did see somewhere on Oracle's site something about making a PSP page, but that seems to require Oracle WebDB gateway, which I'm sure 1)we don't have and 2)we don't want.

You may use servlets if having some servlet engine or Perl, but in this case your users have to log in every time they need to execute a new command (CGI :-().

Perl procedure is quite doable.

Use PPM (you are on Winxx aren't you?) to download the DBD::Oracle package, what you want to do will be quite quick to implement, there are some good examples in the documentation.

Before you do that though, on UNIX there is a utility that refreshes your snapshots as soon as they need it. isn't there one on Winxx? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Both the Master and slave Oracle databases are on Solaris.

What's the utility that updates a snapshot as soon as it's needed. I wouldn't need that functionality, because I don't want to propogate changes immediately (because we're propogating changes from a QA environment to Production), but something that would be easy for the users would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back