Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PL/SQL and Web Graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cecilcheah

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
CH
Dear all:

I have a question to ask you lot.

My boss wants to know if after he sends me to a PL/SQL course, can I afterwards be able to generate Graphic/Chart from Oracle with no third party software, and be able to do Web Chart too. Is this possible?

Cecil

What do you mean by third-party?

Oracle Developer contains Graphics Builder, that may run on the web. You may also develop charts with WebDB. Oracle JDeveloper provides some classes for buiding charts. I'm not 100% sure, but since Oracle 8.1.7 contains embedded servlet engine, maybe it also contains some classes for building charts. At last, if you're on win, you may use OO4O to connect from MS tools to Oracle.

In any case attending PL/SQL courses helps you to feel free with Oracle itself.

A PL/SQL course is a good idea to get going in Oracle. But I don't see how this could get you very close to delivering a web graphic. If you plan to work with an Oracle database, and do oracle coding to deliver a graphic or chart for the web - then I'm supposing you'd use the Dev tools - Oracle Graphics and Reports. Better if you go to a Reports class - they briefly cover charts and graphs at the end usually - and you'll pick up a little pl/sql. You can work from demos and take the pl/sql class later.

You might want to check out Crystal Reports anyway - a very good third party tool, and worth the money and training is less expensive than Oracle usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back