Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PKZIP type command line zip program for win7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxup

Programmer
Dec 14, 2010
CA
Hi,

I'm looking for a program that is a PKZIP type command line zip program for win7 x64.

Any ideas?

Something small.

Please help.

Thanks,
FOXUP

Install 7-Zip and manually add the "Command Line Version" (on the Download page, usable with both 32 and 64 bit)

most archive utilities have that functionality, either natively build in or as an add-on...

Commercial:

AddOn:
WinZip Command Line

WinACE

WinRAR (build in)
Tutorial - Using WinRAR command-line tools

Freeware:

PeaZip (build in, see page 31 of PeaZip's help file for all commands)

7zip (mentioned above)
7-Zip Command-Line Examples

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Even WinZip offers a command line version.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Look at the tools at Info-Zip. The site isn't intended to be consumer friendly though, so you'll have to dig for the downloads.

Another lightweight choice that doesn't screw around with your Explorer context menus (like many evil products like WinZip do) is FreeByte Zip.

I consider WinZip a hazardous product. Too many applications automate the Explorer Shell to zip and unzip these days. Installing WinZip typically breaks that functionality. 7-Zip is supposedly more graceful about this, and perhaps newer versions of WinZip have addressed the flaw as well.

I second 7-ZIP, as its TOTALLY free including commercial use!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back