Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pixels vs. inches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostinzman

Vendor
Mar 21, 2005
US
Does anyone know where I can get a chart or even better, a ruler that would break down pixels and inches to help some printing layouts.

If you are looking for some sort of relationship between pixels and inches, there really isn't one. You can have whatever number of pixels per inch that you want. Of course, you do need a minimum for a decent level of resolution.

I think this is one of the most misunderstood aspects of Desktop Publishing

As kiddpete points out - there is no relationship ... it's similar to asking how long is a ball of string

Devices like scanners or digital cameras, for example, digitise images and the result ends up as a bunch of pixels... how you use those pixels is up to you

Kind Regards
Duncan

A Pica Ruler is the closest measuring device - but that measures Picas and Inches.

Thanks for the insight. I guess if I had bothered to think about it would make sense. If I guy is telling me he needs an image 3 inches by 3 inches, I would need to resize that image based on it's actual resolution, correct?

You know, the more I get into this stuff, the more I realize I should have stuck with bartending. LOL

If you are unsure of how the image is going to be printed - then adopt a worst-case scenario - and give him the image at 900 by 900 pixels. In greyscale this would create an image of 0.79 mb / RGB would be 2.32 mb / CMYK would be 3.09 mb. The image should really be saved with the correct resolution - but it does not really matter. If you cocked this up it would simply create a preview at the wrong size and confuse the end user. It would, however, still print at 3 inches square with no problems.

Kind Regards
Duncan

If a guy tells you he wants a three inch square image, there are a couple of questions.

Does he want you to print the image? If so, set the image size in Photoshop to 3 inches by 3 inches. Do NOT check the resample box when you do this. Photoshop will set the pixels per inch so that you get the right size. If the pixels per inch are less than 150, check the resample box, and change the ppi to 150.

If he just wants the digital image, ask him how many pixels per inch he wants. Use the procedure above to achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back