Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pixel Ratio Correction--turn it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idfriendly

Technical User
Jun 8, 2010
US
thread229-1234004 I read a thread here advising someone to go to "Image > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Square" in order to reset an image. While that works individually, I don't want to have to do that for each image--I am working with hundreds of tiff and jpeg files, and it is extremely annoying to have to do that each and every time. Is there a way to permanently prevent Photoshop from "correcting" the pixels every time I open an image?

A couple of quick guesses:

Have you tried turning it off in the view menu (with no files open)?

OR

Maybe your preferences need to be reset to their install state, they sometimes get "hosed" and strange happen.

While holding down the [Ctrl Alt Shift ] keys, Start > All Programs > Photoshop.

A MessageBox will ask "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File" to which you answer Yes.

The Preferences file will be rebuilt and hopefully your problem is fixed.

It's greyed out under View when no files are open. I reset my preferences as you suggested and it still corrects the pixels upon opening each file, even after setting it to "Square." I realize that it's trying to be helpful, but it really isn't. I guess this may be something I just have to put up with though.

Hmmm another guess:

Have you tried turning it off in the view menu (with an opened file)?

again just a guess

Yeah, that doesn't work either. I know I corrected this somehow once before--I haven't seen the problem occur in months--I just can't remember the solution. It could be the batch of images I'm working with, I don't know.

I would copy a dozen files to a temp folder and try running your batch against them before trying it with your originals.

note the example I posted is for an old version of pshop and you may need to adjust for CS4

Thanks for all your help but I think I resolved this. I feel stupid, it was such a simple answer: I was working from jpeg derivative images created from a tiff master file. I went back to the original tiff in the warehouse, and it opened fine without any pixel correction. I'm just going to make my derivatives from the tiff master as well---which I probably should have being doing all along. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back