Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pixel Colour Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth1

Programmer
Mar 16, 2000
GB
Thanks for the replies... here is a bit more detail.<br><br>The system is operating in W95, at 800x600 and in 256 colours.&nbsp;&nbsp;The target is a Pentium 2 system, with an AGP graphics card.&nbsp;&nbsp;What I require is a routine to return the colour of any pixel on the screen that I specify.<br><br>If you need any more info, let me know.<br><br>Gareth

Have you tried the Windows API function GetPixel??<br>This isn't really an assembler question mainly because most asm programmers don't do windows.(Accessing the Video buffer directly like you do in DOS in a NO-NO in Windoze)<br>So try the API fuction GetPixel. If it isn't fast enough for you, you'll have to try DirectX calls. (Out of MY league) Below is a site that has info on accessing Win API calls from VB:<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> GetPixel function retrieves the red, green, blue (RGB) color value of the pixel at the specified coordinates. <br><br>COLORREF GetPixel(<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HDC hdc, // handle of device context&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;int XPos, // x-coordinate of pixel <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;int nYPos // y-coordinate of pixel <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;); <br>Parameters<br><br>hdc<br><br>Identifies the device context. <br><br>nXPos<br><br>Specifies the logical x-coordinate of the pixel to be examined. <br><br>nYPos<br><br>Specifies the logical y-coordinate of the pixel to be examined. <br><br> <p> <br><a href=mailto:Kim_Christensen@telus.net>Kim_Christensen@telus.net</a><br><a href= Page</a><br>

I don't think that will help Gareth1, zBuilder. The GetPixel function only works on a clip region. Correct me when I'm wrong, please... can it be coerced to get the RGB values from the entire screen? <p> <br><a href=mailto:InterruptX@excite.com>InterruptX@excite.com</a><br><a href= Contingency Implementation</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Alt255:<br><br>Yes... You can get the whole screen (Minus taskbar I think) by doing the following:<br><br>zhdc = GetDC(NULL); // Get device context of the Whole screen<br>YourPixel = GetPixel(zhdc, x, y);&nbsp;&nbsp;// Get any pixel on the screen pointed by x & y<br>ReleaseDC(NULL, zhdc);<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto:Kim_Christensen@telus.net>Kim_Christensen@telus.net</a><br><a href= Page</a><br>

Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp;GetPixel does the job perfectly, I forgot to check the Taskbar part, but I don't need that anyway.&nbsp;&nbsp;For assembly programmers you know more about VB than the VB forums.<br><br>Gareth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back