Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX2PIX IPSec NT Domain Login Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

asafayan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have successfully established an IPSec site to site tunnel with the 2 endpoints being a PIX 515 with 6.21ED code and a PIX 506E with 6.12 code.

The problem is that when I reboot the Windows client, the NT domain login fails. If I cancel out of the login dialog box and go to a command prompt and ping a host on the remote LAN, the tunnel comes up. Immediately after this, I can do a SHUT DOWN>>LOG OFF>> and do a successfull NT domain login.

I can see network traffic on the inside interface of the PIX when I reboot my PC and assume this is the client peforming its login process. But it appears that this is not deemed as interesting and therefore doesn't bring up the tunnel.

With the VPN client application, there is a setting that allows you to initiate the remote access tunnel prior to the login process.....I need the equivalent type of solution for this site to site tunnel.

HI.

* Are you sure you want to log in to domain via the VPN tunnel?
Did you consider other options like a local login with same name and password as those at the domain?

* What is the OS of the client?
* What is the server OS?

* How is name resolution handled?
WINS or local LMHOSTS might solve some problems.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks Yizhar. Client is WIN98. Server OS is WIN NT 4.0.

This remote site client needs to have domain authentication to access resources located at the HQ. The client IP addresses and other relevant info such as WINS and DNS are statically assigned. So no LMHOSTS involved at the moment.

I don't know what kind of process is involved when the client boots and initiates the domain login process. But it seems that the domain login process is not "interesting" and therefore not initiating the tunnel setup.

My access-list to determine interesting traffic simply that identifies the source address as being from the remote site and the destination address as being that of the HQ location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back