Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 515UR Crash 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pthang

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
CA
Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you have experienced the PIX crashing. I have connected it live twice now, and both times after about half an hour the system would hang. Even the console did not work anymore. The only solution was to reboot.
The number of connections did not even exceed 2000.
I have the syslog file, but all that shows are translations, and such, nothing too informative.

Is there anything specific that I should look for in the syslog file. The logging level was set for debug.

Hey Pthang,

I have two PIX 515 in a failover config. We have experienced the exact same problem as you have described. I contacted TAC and they brought to my attention the following Field Notice:

They are shipping replacement units no questions asked assuming your serial numbers match the Field Notice.

Regards,

Amir

I have actually brought in a second unit and tested it at another customer site hoping that it was just hardware. I have seen that field service bulletin before, but Cisco had told me that products leaving their doors have had that corrected.

I also ran a quick test on the PIX in house. I ran 4 downloads from a website and the CPU peaked at 99% utilization. This is definitely not normal operation. Has anyone experienced this?

I have the exactly same problem with a 515.
Ive contacted TAC but they dont seem to have a solution.
The pix have to be rebooted, and there is no reasoning syslog output, and no respons from console.
Hope someone got a solution.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. My serial # is 44405x which is supposed to be 'fixed' but I experience crashes as well. I too can't get any decent logs from it. The console completely freezes and accepts no input. It ceases all traffic completely. The only solution is a reboot.

What are you telling TAC ? I'll call in and voice a similar concern, but I'm not exactly sure what they can do since it's not spitting out logs.

-Iota

What version of PIX OS are you using?

Anybody using DHCP on the outside interface? I've seen wierdness with how the PIX maintains (i.e. renews) its IP address via DHCP.

Liberty for All,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back