Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 515E failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

pday

MIS
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hi,
I have to 515's in a stateful failover and am using a hub cheap hub to connect the outside interfaces which in turn plugs into my 2600 router. I want to get rid of the cheap hub and place a 2912 in it's place. Not only would I feel more comfortable with that device but can start to get some information out of it.

Here's my question: Can I use a swtich to plug in the 2 outside interfaces or does it need to be a hub? I remember someone telling me that it had to be a hub but don't remember the reason. Thanks!

Patrick

HI.

I have no field experience with stateful failover, but I think that the reason he mentioned is this:
When the secondary pix takes over, it claims the MAC address of the primary pix.
A Switch will need more time (in seconds) then a Hub to adjust to this change.

When you find more answers on this issue, please share them with us so we can all learn.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back