Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 515 Access VPN with Freeradius server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdowling

MIS
Nov 19, 2001
BM
Hello All,

Before I take the hammer to both my PIX and radius server, I was wondering if anyone has completed an installation such as this. I am not a well versed UNIX user but am desperately trying to get my VPN configuration working. I think the PIX is configured correctly but I would like to prove the VPN using the PIX as the authenticating server. Unfortunately, all the documents I have read refer to Radius servers which is why I have started looking at configuring it. Any ideas on how to get the AAA stuff working like this? Althought using a Radius server is the ultimate goal, it is an added complication at this stage and I am now spending hours and ours reading about how to configure Freeradius (frustration level increasing dangerously).

Can anyone offer some advice? I am running PIX version 6.2(2)and Freeradius v 1.123 (freeradius-0.8.1) on Solaris 8.

HI.

Some tips:

* If you upgrade the pix to version 6.3x, you will be able to use local user accounts instead of RADIUS.

* When using RADIUS for VPN - the authentication is in PAP protocol, so the RADIUS server should be configurred to accept this kind of authentication protocol.

* I have implemented XAUTH (VPN authentication) with W2K server built in IAS and it works. If you have a W2K server to play with you can implement this first, and then switch to another solution if needed.

* Logging, Logging, Logging, Debug, Debug, Debug...
Work with the pix syslog messages and debug commands, and with the logs of the RADIUS server, to find the problems.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back