Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 506e Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenhutchings

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
GB
Hi all,

Now then - we as a company have had a new piece of software installed that requires VPN access, http access and remote desktop. My MD in his wisdom goes and asks a vendor what type of firewall we need - he recommends cisco.

A few days later and I have got a PIX 506e on my desk with a postit attatched reading - sort this out.

Unfortunately I havent got a Cisco qualification and need some assistance. I need to open a vpn for our 2 remote offices and redirect all http requests to 1 ip address on our lan.

I have tried to configure the PIX to little sucess. I have managed to get our netgear router to allow everything in and out and setup the correct ip addresses on the PIX network ports. Apart from that Im stuck!

From what I understand it is possible to run scripts on the PIX to configure it can anyone advise me on how to continue / how to do it!

Thanks

That's a tall order. If you have no cisco experience it might be better to hire a consultant to set it up. If you feel pretty comfortable with networking in general that I say have a go at it yourself.
Here is the Cisco config example page. Just about everything is there. Once you get started if you have specific questions or run into problems, you can post your config and someone here will definitely be able to help.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

If you're going to have a pix in the office, you may as well learn it. I use both the CLI and the PDM during configuration, it's definitely a learning curve but it's a good feather in cap so to speak.

This one little writeup helped me greatly in getting the pix units online:

I find that setting up vpn's, be they site to site or client, is most easily done in the PDM.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back