Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 506e assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyarber

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2006
US
Hello.

Our company has a PIX 506e (6.3). What we want to do is have ppl (employees) be able to connect to our world client mail on our internal mail server. So our issue is enabling ppl to connect from the inside to the inside.

Now i'm sorta new to all this stuff, but i'm learning as well. I know we can do this with a simple vlan setup and giving the block of IP address access to that vlan, then walla :)

But the boss of course dosent want ppl typing in IP address to the address bar to connect internally (to complicated for the regular user). What we want is employees to be able to type in the actual unresolved address (example: mail.blahblah.com) into the address bar and then be able to connect to it.

My first thought (without being a expert in this field)is that this most likely cant be done b/c don't PIX's only dev in IP address and let DNS servers resolve stuff??

Anyways i'm not to sure and would love to find out so I can get this done and learn something in the whole process :)

Thanks for any help...

Ok, issue resolved. I should have known this. It's a DNS issue not a firewall/router issue :).

Just needed to create a dns zone on the dns server, then create a A host that resolved it internally and then that was it. All done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back