Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pix 501 to 515 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolast

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
FR
Hello,

I am running a PIX 501 and i would like to replace it with a PIX 515 with no interruption of service. Is there any means to do that in a transparent way for users ?

Thanks in advance.

Having no interruption will be difficult if not impossible if you use the same ip addresses on the interfaces. You have to unplug one to plug in the other.

If you use the same IP addresses, watch out for ARP cache issues when you swap out the old one for the new. Any device with the old pix's mac address cached will not be able to talk to the new pix until its cache is cleared/updated.

You can configure the 515 offline with exactly the same configuration, then plug it in at a convenient time. There is no way to do it without *any* disruption, but the outage could be only a second or so while you swap cables.

I think that would be faster than installing it and reconfiguring the IP addresses, though that would be an option also.

The swichover might also be a little faster if you "clear arp" on the routers on either side of the Pix.

You can do it if you use different IP addresses, and run the two in parrallel until you remove your 501.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back