Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pix 501 reset & upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbdataplus

Technical User
Aug 19, 2006
US
I have a few clients with Pix 501 routers that have been in place for several years without complaint, but I've been remiss in making sure that I have proper spares and resources in place should one fail. What I'd like to do, ideally, is take two extra 501s that I have and factory reset them and then update them with the last firmware and PDM.

Secondly, I suspect that I should backup and copy all the config files to the host servers and then copy them to my server, so in the event a 501 goes down I can tftp the replacement config file and shove it in FedEx.

This seems like routine and almost trivial work for someone who is already inside the Cicso Pix "mindset" yet totally.

Anyone here up for advising and assisting for a fee?

Pix 501's have been EOL/EOS for years. You need to look at using ASA 5505's.

Latest (and final...) firmware for the 501 is 6.3(5) and PDM 3.0(4). As brianinms says though the PIX 501 has been EoS/EoL for a while now and it will have no further development. The ASA 5505 is its replacement, however depending on what you are doing you would probably be able to use just a Cisco router with the firewall feature set to achieve the same functionality as the PIX.

For your dilema though, yes tftp copy the configurations from your existing PIX 501's and store them somewhere. Wipe the configuration from the spares (write erase). Upgrade them to 6.3(5) and PDM 3.0(4) and keep them safe. In the event of a failure put minimal config on a spare, set up a tftp server on a PC, get it connected to the PIX (IP) and copy the saved config file to the PIX. Job done.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back