Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 Home / Small Office Configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasscutter

Technical User
Jul 26, 2006
GB
Hello Everyone,

I have a cisco PIX 501 and would like to use this at home.

Do i need my ISP to supply a perimeter router configured with an outside IP address?

And do i need an additional outside ip address for my pix firewall to then route to the ISP's perimeter router?

Also, is it also possible to use an ADSL connection with my 501? If so, what would be the best way to connect my 501 out to the internet over adsl.

Many questions, if anyone can help it would be very appreaited.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Derek.

Do i need my ISP to supply a perimeter router configured with an outside IP address?

You only need an ethernet connection of some sort depending on what kind of circuit you are bringing in. If you get a T1 then you will need a router with a CSU/DSU card in it to plug the T1 into. If you get DSL or Cable then you can just plug the ethernet from the modem into the PIX WAN interface, interface 0. I think by default the 501 WAN will be configured for dhcp.

And do i need an additional outside ip address for my pix firewall to then route to the ISP's perimeter router?

Only if you are using a T1 flavor circuit. If this is the case the ISP will give you the IP configuration you need.

Also, is it also possible to use an ADSL connection with my 501? If so, what would be the best way to connect my 501 out to the internet over adsl.

Yes, but you need an ADSL modem, then you plug the ethernet from the modem into the WAN interface of the PIX and cconfigure the WAN interface to use DHCP, unless you get a static address, then you would configure it with the static.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back